Subject: Re: virtual device
To: Jeff Bolle <jbolle@bucknell.edu>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/24/2003 12:49:09
> Is there a way that I can use the network card in my z50 remotely?  I
> was envisioning some type of NFS thing where I could mount the network
> card device on the device tree of my main workstation.

Plan9 could do it, as I understand; but *nix can't.

> I doubt such a
> thing is possible, and I realize I could just have the z50 forward
> everything to my main workstation,

doesn't that amount to the same thing?
give us a little more detail into what problem you're trying to solve. :)

you could just have the z50 do the sniffing (tho the processor will be a
bit underpowered for full-bore 10-mbit feeds); and write the logs via NFS to
your workstation, where you analyze them using its CPU, and then display
them to wherever you like.

the additional network load from the NFS mount will seriously cripple
performance tho.

Carl.
--
Systems Administrator