Subject: Re: More Mobilepro Questions
To: Jun Ebihara <jun@soum.co.jp>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/12/2003 12:12:07
* Jun Ebihara <jun@soum.co.jp> [0303 09:03]:
> From: Steve Edwards <edwards_sj@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: More Mobilepro Questions
> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:27:42 +0000 (GMT)
>
> > > xfonts?
> > hmmmm, I can't fit that as well, I'm currently at 99% on the compact flash
> > card...
>
> should delete unused staff..
> You use 96M card? I use 192M card with X & vic & rat.

If you keeping rming unneeded files you can fit X and blackbox in
128Mb - I only have manpages installed for binaries I have, etc, etc
but I had room for dillo at one point [ which stank :) ].

I now run links or mozilla from the server upstairs over a ssh X11
forward, works a treat.
I think /usr was 80Mb with X when I started, squeezed that down to 40-odd
with careful walloping of unneeded docs and binaries.
I stuck the kernel onto the DOS partition to save as much space as
possible too - it makes rebooting without going through wince painful,
but this box hardly ever reboots.

> > > Tell your mobile pro version.
> > It's a mobilepro 800

my mp800 had no trouble running X locally, I just chose mp800
in pbsdboot and then startx - no need for any other config.
GENERIC was OK, but I hacked that down to save space - I can send you
a kernel config if you want?

Apart from the battery life and the unusable function keys, it's pretty sweet.
Fast 256Mb CF cards are about for < 50 quid too these days, so I might
even upgrade it.....

--
"The Schizophrenic: An Unauthorized Autobiography"