Subject: Re: pbsdboot ext2
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/09/2003 01:00:30
Am Samstag, 08. März 2003 um 16:38:14 Uhr (-0500) schrieb Jimi Malcolm:
> I'm trying to set up a 256 MB CF card for NetBSD on a MobilePro 780
> using SuSE 8.1, but am running into brick walls.  The version of SuSE
> I'm running (LiveEval directly off a CD-R) doesn't support FFS.

The Linux kernel doesn't support FFS at all.

> Trying to boot from pbsdboot on a 5M msdos partition, I don't know how
> to get it to recognize the kernel on another partition.

1:/netbsd, if the other partition is formatted as FFS.

But for the installation system, I suggest creating a larger msdos
partition (7 MB so that it holds both the installation kernel and
pbsdboot.exe).

> Does NetBSD even recognize ext2?

Yes, if you tell it to mount a partition as ext2.

> When I put the generic kernel on the msdos partition, it boots the
> kernel fine by simply specifying "/netbsd", but then it bails because
> it seems as though it cannot mount the root file system.

Then you haven't used the installation kernel (which boots into the
installation routine), but the standard kernel.

-F

--
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/homepage/
http://www.complit.fu-berlin.de/institut/lehrpersonal/cramer.html