Subject: xkbcomp on MobilePro
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Wong <"benjamin.wong@nospamplease"@cc.gatech.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/05/2003 11:58:23
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my MobilePro 800 to NetBSD-1.6 and was pleasantly
surprised to find that the arrow keys now work. (Thanks, to whoever
fixed that!)

Now, I'd like my PgUp, NumLock, etc. keys to work; but I'm not sure
what I should do. On the MobilePro keyboard those keys are not
individual keys.

For example, page up is labeled as being Alt+Up. Clearly, that's a bad
mapping since it would disallow Alt+PgUp for scrolling back in an
xterm. I'd like to use the key labeled `Fn' on the MobilePro (which is
Meta_L), as the modifier key so that, for example, Fn+Up would send
page up.

However, I only know how to bind page up to be Shift+Up using xmodmap.
Reading over the old messages on this list, it looks like xkbcomp may
be the right solution. Is that right and does anyone have a keyboard
file that already does what I want?

Thanks,

	Ben Wong
	<benjamin.wong "at" cc.gatech.edu>

P.S. For the archives, here's the xmodmap file I'm currently using
     which gives me a Page_Up key with Shift+Up. It works in most
     applications, but not in Mozilla (which sees that shift is down
     and thinks you're hitting Shift+Page_Up).

$ cat .xmodmaprc
! The MobilePro keyboard marks PgUp/PgDn as being available when you
! hold down Alt, but I don't know how to do that. Shift may be better,
! anyway, so that I can do Alt+PgUp to scroll back in an xterm.

keycode  98 = Up Page_Up
keycode 100 = Left Home
keycode 102 = Right End
keycode 104 = Down Page_Down