Subject: Trouble installing to CF
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Braun <mjbraun@enteract.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/04/2003 11:08:17
Firstly, let me say thank you to the HPCMIPS community for the support
you have given me in the past. I hope that some day I can return the
favor in kind.

That being said, I'm still having trouble installing NetBSD on a CF for
use in my ePods (thread begun at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcmips/2003/01/08/0000.html). I
followed Mr. Whitesel's excellent HOWTO at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcmips/2000/04/20/0002.html but I'm
having new difficulties. The only difference that I have between his
setup and mine is that I'm using a 128Mb CF card rather than 192Mb,
which one wouldn't think matters but apparently does (or I'm, more
likely, missing something).

So here are the steps I go through, following Mr. Whitesel's document
and the results it returns.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS and the Bootlap1.fs and
Bootlap2.fs images for 1.6 and a SanDisk 128Mb  CF card with SanDisk
CF-->PCMCIA adapter.

1) I choose "Install NetBSD to hard disk from the initial menu and
"Yes" at the next menu to continue
2) NetNSD detects wd0 (the HD) and wd1 (the CF) as I select wd1 as the
disk to install to. Elsewhere on the screen I see black-backgrounded
text  (rather than the normal blue) reading "pcmcia1:  card irq9" and
on the line below it "stray interrupt 9"
3) I get a message that sysinst could not automatically determine the
BIOS geometry of the disk. I accept it's guess based on the physical
geometry as 980 cylinders, 8 sectors, and 32 heads.
4) At the next menu, I select the option to use only part of the disk
(to make one DOS partition and one NetBSD partition)
5) Following the howto I set my size specifier to sectors
6) I edit the DOS partition table to have the following layout:

           Start(sec)    Size(sec)    End(sec)     Kind
0:       32                5088            5120            DOS FAT16,
<32M
1:       5120           245760       250880        NetBSD
3:
Unused
4:
Unused

And I set partition 0 as active (though nothing seems to change to
indicate this is the case). I then move to the next screen.
7) I'm told that the NetBSD part of the disk lies outside of the range
that the BIOS on the machine can address and that booting from it may
be impossible, but I chose yes to continue (since this is for another
machine anyway)
8) I'm then told that I appear to have more than one OS and I'm asked
if I want to install a bootselector. Since I'll be using PBSDBoot from
within WinCE I choose no.
9) I'm then asked if I want to use normal bootcode. I say yes.
10) Now I get to the disklabel screen and I choose to make a custom
disklabel
11) My disklabel layout:

      Size          Offset          End          FStype          BSize
    Fsize  Preserve  Mount point
a: 243712     5120           248831  4.2BSD          4096       512
No                    /
b: 2048          248832      250879  4.2BSD          8192       1024
No
c: 245760      5120          250879  unused
d: 250880     0                 250879  unused
h: 5088          32              5119        MSDOS
                                          /c

Note: I'm not clear if wd1b is supposed to be used for swap (and given
the debates over swap-on-CF I'd probably steer clear of using it) but
for the time being I put it in since it's in the howto, I do it.
12) I named the disk 'epodcf' and continue.

13 ) And the errors begin.

I get a bunch of

wd1d: error reading fsbn 5575681 (wd1 bn 5575681; cn 5956 tn 7 sn 46),
retrying
wd1: (id not found)

errors and then the ugly message:

wd1: disk label I/O error

followed by

NetBSD slice at 5575680, partition C at 5120
Write outside MBR partition? [n]:

I assume NetBSD is smarter than me, so I accept the default of 'n'. It
tries to run newfs and spits out a bunch of similar fsbn errors
followed by a disk label I/O error. Then it says

newfs: /dev/rwd1a: open for read: Device not configured

I'm then told that I cant continue. And the process resets.

*SO*, if you've managed to get this far (or if you just skimmed down to
the bottom), hopefully I've provided enough detail that someone can see
where I've missed something. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Thanks for any help and advice!