Subject: Re: selecting a portable platform for netbsd
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/21/2003 01:54:21
hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for your help everybody!

Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com> wrote:
>   Not counting the lack of floating point, it is likely to be about half
> the speed of the p133, although the difference can depend a great deal on
> how the program is written.

does this mean i won't be able to play mp3's, even with the mad player
which uses integer math only? this is really the only cpu intensive task i
will be running. by the way one of my netbsd boxes is a 16 mhz 68030 mac
without fpu, so i'm fairly used to not having much speed. :-)

> It sounds like you may really want a small notebook.

you might be right, but apart from the size the battery life and the silent
operation makes me want to give this a try, not to mention how cool it is
to follow and perhaps even contribute to the kernel development on a more
mysterious and "immature" architechture. i'll start scanning ebay right
away.

thanks again,

	/matt