Subject: Re: selecting a portable platform for netbsd
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/20/2003 18:28:34
On 20.02.03, 11:32:43, billy ball wrote:

> life is good on the z50, especially since is has the nice StinkPad

The z50 is probably unbeaten for backlit color displays concerning
battery life. I get 12-14 hours with 256MB CF card and Wireless LAN
(very lightly loaded network). The keyboard is really very good.

> keyboard! but i don't know how z50 compares to the mp780 in regards to CPU
> and/or supported hardware... z50 is 640x480@16bpp, with working trackpoint
> and audio, supported CF and PCMCIA... haven't tried video out [yet], but

If you are referring to the VGA port, that one works fine. Allegedly it
can do 800x600, but I haven't been able to do that yet. However, if it
was enabled in Wince at the time netbsd was booted, it continued working
in NetBSD.

Maybe you have to disable the LCD to get the high resolution.

> you'll need at least 64MB ffs (there's a truly minimal hpcmips legacy dist
> somewhere out there)...
>
> > and the last question is whether the 168 mhz cpu is faster or slower than
> > my p133. i don't need anything faster than what i have now, but it should
> > be as fast since being able to play mp3's for eaxmple is a must.

Slower for integer, dramatically slower for FP, because of lack of FPU.
If you need ghostscript, it is a very good idea to tell it that "Integer
is always significantly faster than floating point" in the makefile
before actually building it.

A gs built with standard options is horribly slow.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - the cure.
		-- Julian Assange