Subject: Re: selecting a portable platform for netbsd
To: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/20/2003 11:32:43
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Mattias Sandstrom wrote:

> hi,

hi there!

> i'm currently running netbsd on an i386 laptop, but i want something smaller
> so i'm looking at the hpc ports. i need a fairly large keyboard but can
> live with a small screen so i've narrowed in on the mobilepro 780.

life is good on the z50, especially since is has the nice StinkPad
keyboard! but i don't know how z50 compares to the mp780 in regards to CPU
and/or supported hardware... z50 is 640x480@16bpp, with working trackpoint
and audio, supported CF and PCMCIA... haven't tried video out [yet], but
AFAIK, the serial [LPT] and IrDA ports are not supported...

> so, i'm assuming the x server on hpc-mips is smaller, and probably the kernel
> as well, but how much smaller? and are the programs generally bigger or
> smaller on hpc-mips and/or more or less memory hungry.

you'll need at least 64MB ffs (there's a truly minimal hpcmips legacy dist
somewhere out there)...

Linux works fine on a 128MB CF (ethernet; no wireless; no audio; only
16MB, but X works)...

> and the last question is whether the 168 mhz cpu is faster or slower than
> my p133. i don't need anything faster than what i have now, but it should
> be as fast since being able to play mp3's for eaxmple is a must.

definitely slower running native apps...

> thanks a lot guys. i hope you'll soon be welcoming me to the group as a real
> user and contributer and not just a lurker with annoying questions. ;-)

NetBSD is a great OS! i am a *very* happy user!