Subject: Re: ibmZ50, install, disk full, 128MB CF, 100MB bsd partition
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/16/2003 00:05:43
>>>>> "bv" == Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net> writes:

    bv> it isn't good to have swap at all?

CF supposedly wears out faster than a Microdrive under write activity.

In an abstract sense swapping to CF is silly because DRAM is probably
still cheaper then FLASH, but that choice is not available to us with
many of these cheaply-designed or crippled machines.  The reason for
the advice is to avoid wearing out your card faster than usual.  If
you don't care about the card, you could try it and let us know what
happens and how much swap is typically 'used' on your machine.

    bv> problems with running without any swap?

There are no problems.  Any machine can run out of virtual memory, but
having less of it is a disadvantage.  I think I couldn't run X, olvwm,
and emacs with no swap on this 32MB machine, but I haven't tried.

--
The _Kama Sutra_ of Vatsyayana lists secret writing as the 44th, and
secret talking as thet 45th, of 64 arts (yogas) men and women should