Subject: Re: Novice with Mobilepro 780 from Spain, consultations.
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/09/2003 21:50:48
>>>>> "jb" == JJ Bonilla <jjbinfor@tiscali.es> writes:

    jb> audio0 at vraudio0:half duplex

No.

Audio does not work for me, but IIRC playing an auddio file results in
a delay the same length as the file.  Maybe the kernel does not
correctly power on the analog components when one opens the audio
driver.  An interesting test would be to boot NetBSD while WinCE is
playing a sound.

    jb> 3. - Works the infrared port?

No.

    jb> 4. - As I can print? With the cable of the port series?

Yes.

    jb> By infrared pot?

No.

You may also be able to print with the USB port, using a USB printer
or a USB-to-parallel adapter.  I haven't tried.

    jb> 5. - I have a CD-ROM Freecom IDE by cable PCMCIA,

Yes, I think.

I do knot recognize Freecom here in the US, but I have a PCMCIA-to-IDE
external case for 2.5" hard disks, and it works fine.  It does not
work in WinCE, so you can't boot off it.  Microsoft made WinCE
crippled to attach only wdcs that claim to be solid-state, such as CF
memory or the MicroDrive.  NetBSD is not crippled in this way.

    jb> in Linux is emulation SCSI,

Yes.  NetBSD has an MI atapi layer and excellent IDE drivers.

Some PCMCIA-IDE CD-ROMs, such as the Sony Discman PRD-150, have
nonstandard IDE controllers in them that do not work.  but a generic
external case works for me.

    jb> 6. - I can use a modem PCMCIA, or, I can use a modem in the
    jb> serie port? or Modem in compact flash port?

Yes, yes, and yes.

However the interrupt handling on hpcmips is abyssmal.  Compared to a
slower SPARC, NetBSD/hpcmips seems to lose more characters on the
serial port (``com0: n silo overflows''), and seems less responsive
during heavy disk activity.  You can set the port as high as 115200
baud, but I think the Internet connection will become too slow from
dropped characters corrupting packets at anything higher than 38400.

The same problems may or may not apply to PC Card or CF modems,
depending on how closely the modem emulates the 16550A chip.

A USB modem might be a good idea, but I have not tried.  I plan to try
a USB-to-serial converter next, to see if it works better than the
built-in serial port.

--
I made the mistake of glancing at the linux drivers but my eyes
started bleeding.