Subject: Re: Trouble installing on IBM z50
To: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
From: jolan <jolan@cryptonomicon.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/06/2003 11:40:12
On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:15:08PM +0100, Florian Cramer wrote:
> my surprise, it didn't even recognize a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet IIPS
> and a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 Upgradable, but eventually
> worked with a 3com Etherlink III PCMCIA card. (Should I file the Xircom
> incompatibilities as bugs? All the above cards worked fine under Linux.)

the xircom driver was not present in the install kernel for 1.6.  i
submitted a PR and this was changed.  (hopefully?) this driver will be
included in 1.6.1 and up.

> Now I am still stuck with the partition layout as regards to the size of
> the installation. I use a 256 MB CF card with a 19 MB DOS partition for
> pbsdboot.exe and the kernel image and 226 MB remaining for NetBSD.

fyi, you really only need ~7mb.  6.9mb for the install kernel and 175kb
for pbsdboot.  pbsdboot now supports loading of the boot kernel from the
netbsd partition.  just set kernel name to 1:/netbsd, where 1 is the
partition # that has netbsd on it... usually 0 is msdos, 1 is netbsd.

> The "default without X" layout implies to allocate 117 MB for /, 97 MB
> for swap and only 11 MB for /usr, which doesn't sound very sane to me.
> My initial idea was to do without swap and a separate /usr partition,
> but install NetBSD on just one logical partition. - It seems that this
> doesn't work; upon reboot, the z50 user kernel from ftp.netbsd.org
> complained that it couldn't access the CF disk partition and ended up in
> an endless loop.

did you install the "fixed" kernel?  see:

http://www.cryptonomicon.org/mobile/z50.html

under tips & tricks section, 1.6 kernel fix for z50.

> Which partition layout would you recommend for such a setup?

i have a 1gb microdrive.  i just did 900mb for the root partition and
the rest for swap.  with such little space, i see little reason to split
it up.

as for your other comments about the installer, yeah it's not very user
friendly.  submit diffs i guess..?

- jolan