Subject: Re: Doubts on versions 1,5, 1.6.
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/06/2003 16:24:10
On 06.02.03, 17:04:37, JJ Bonilla wrote:
> Hi, I finish installing NetBSD 1,6 in a Mobilepro 780, watching packages
> available in other previous versions  and I see that they are all compiled
> for version 1.5. but not for 1.6.
>
> I can install version 1.5.3 and use the compiled packages of the 1,5 or must
> install the 1,5? ... I do not know if libraries are compatible.

For versions 1.6 and newer, the pre-compiled binary packages are no
longer sorted by machine, but by CPU architecture. So you can install
packages for "mipsel" and they should work fine.

I. e. look under
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6/mipsel/All/

So set PKG_PATH to the URL above (without the trailing /) and try
"pkg_add abiword"

If a precompiled binary version exists, and all its dependencies are
available (either installed or as binary packages) it will be installed.

I think there should be a symbolic link from hpcmips to mipsel; maybe
someone could arrange that, please.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Everyone else is doin' it. But we're doin' it right.
		-- Herb Peyerl