Subject: Trouble installing on IBM z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/01/2003 16:19:17
Hi,

I have the following problems installing both NetBSD 1.5.3 and NetBSD
1.6 on an IBM z50 with 48 MB RAM, a NE2000-compatible
10/100 Mbit 16bit PCMCIA Ethernet adaptor and a 256 MB CF card:

- The installation kernel boots ok & detects the Ethernet card, the
  first installation steps including partitioning/formatting the CF card
  proceed smoothly.

- The installation fails to fetch the installation tarballs. Let me
  specify:
  + Networking parameters are correctly defined, pings to other hosts
    work as they should.
  + The installer manages to open an FTP connection: The prompt of the
    server appears, "250 CWD command successful" appears five times.

    500 EPSV not understood
    227 Entering Passive Mode (130,133,1,100,188,61)

  + The FTP program then opens a binary connection, receives
    kern-GENERIC.tgz, gets stuck at 0% transfer rate and times out
    after a while

- The error is reproducible with various NetBSD FTP mirrors I tried.
- Timeouts also occur when I try to install by NFS.
- Outside sysinst, I manage to download small (ASCII) files by FTP,
  but get the same problems with larger (binary or ASCII) files.

Is it possible that I got hit by the timing problems (?) with z50 and
PCMCIA NICs I read in the archive of this list? If so, is there a
patched installation kernel for z50?

Sorry if I made some stupid mistake (I'm a NetBSD newbie coming from
Debian GNU/Linux).

-F

--
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/homepage/