Subject: installation help - NEC MP 800
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Albert Huang <neustis@hotmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/04/2002 19:28:01
Hi all,

I'm trying to install NetBSD on a NEC MobilePro 800 with a 48 MB Kingston CF
card.  I haven't been able to find very many web resources, so hopefully
someone on this list might be able to help me.

I downloaded the boot loader (pbsdboot) and the kernel onto my CF card.
Then I ran the boot loader on the kernel image.

Both kernels 1.6 and 1.5.3 give me the same result.  The kernel starts
booting, and then I get the following messages at the end

wdc1 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x14000300-0x1400030f
wd0 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0: <Hitachi CV 6.1.2>
wd0: drive supports 1-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd0: 47232 KB, 738 cyl, 4 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 94464 sectors
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
pcmcia0: card irq3
wd0: no disk label
pcmcia0: card irq 3
pcmcia0: card irq 3
pcmcia0: card irq 3
no file system for wd0 (dev 0x100)
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default wd0a): <prompt>

I'm then prompted for a root device, a dump device, and a file system.  Can
anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I found the instructions on the web
somewhat hard to follow, so my guess is that I'm missing a step.  Do I need
to format the CF card before booting the kernel?  I'm new to NetBSD, so I
don't exactly know what I'm doing.  Thanks!

-Albert