Subject: Re: z50 Internal Modem Device Name
To: None <bensexson@earthlink.net>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/19/2002 23:15:09
In message: <OFENLDGAGLHAPKPAANJNCEFECBAA.bensexson@earthlink.net>
            "Benjamin David Sexson" <bensexson@earthlink.net> writes:
: The modem uses a Rockwell RP336LD Modem Data Pump (I don't really know what
: this means?).  I am guessing that this sends the data to the processor which
: then emulates a UART.  So I guess it wouldn't be that easy to port a
: linmodem to NetBSD.  Anybody have any idea how to start making a driver?

Read the documenation that's included in the Vr4121 :-)

26.1 General

The core of the HSP unit uses an NEC56K chip made by PCTEL. The main
functions of this core are as follows:

o "CODEC device control and serial parallel conversion of the CODEC
  transmit/receive data.
o "Control of relay lines, hook lines, and other signal lines in the
  data access arrangement (DAA) block.

Block diagrams of HSP unit and an example of connection between the
VR4121 and external agents are shown below.

26.2 Register Set

    The HSP registers are listed below.
    The data registers can be accessed as the control registers by
specifying the INDEX number and then reading from or writing to.
    The HSPINIT register is added for the VR 4121, and other registers
are original to the NEC56K.

Table 26-1. HSP Registers

Address    R/W Register Symbols Name
0x0C000020 R/W HSPINIT          HSP Initialize Register
0x0C000022 R/W HSPDATA(7:0)     HSP Data Register L
0x0C000023 R/W HSPDATA(15:8)    HSP Data Register H
0x0C000024 W HSPINDEX           HSP Index Register
0x0C000028 R HSPID(7:0)         HSP ID Register
0x0C000029 R HSPPCS(7:0)        HSP I/O Address Program Confirmation Register
0x0C000029 W HSPPCTEL(7:0)      HSP Signature Checking Port

These registers are described in detail below.

etc

D[3] AFESEL CODEC interface mode switch
    1 : ST7546, STLC7546(SGS), T7525(AT)
    0 : TLC320C44, TLC320AC01/02(TI)

I don't know if the Rockwell modem data pump is compatible with any of
the devices listed.

I'd try to get the Vr4111 docs since it is almost identical to the
Vr4121, but the english translation is a little higher quality.  The
Vr4131 docs don't have anything on the HSP, since I think that was
removed from the Vr4131.  I got the above from
	http://www.necelam.com/microprocessors/uPD30121-168.cfm
and did a small cut and paste.  There seem to be no special Vr4122
docs.

I don't have a z50, so I can't tell for sure if the IBM uses the HSP
inside the Vr4121 or not.

Warner