Subject: Re: Install on Vadem Clio 1050
To: James Srinivasan <james_srinivasan@yahoo.com>
From: Bryan K. Ogawa <bko@idiom.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/18/2002 01:38:24
In localhost.netbsd.hpcmips, you wrote:
> I'm trying to install Netbsd from a CF card onto a
> Vadem Clio 1050. I've transferred the files at:
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/hpcmips/installation/
>
> onto the CF card, uncompressed netbsd.gz then booted
> using pbsdboot (default options except screen set to
> Vadem Clio 1050). Everything seems to boot ok but
> sysinst claims it can't find a hard disk to install
> to. Whilst this is strictly true (there ain't a hard
> disk in sight), I was assuming it would be able to use
> the CF card - is this correct?

You can.  the tricky part is that you need to partition the cf card w/
a NetBSD partition, just like you'd do with a traditional dual-boot
system.  Thus it may be difficult to fit everything onto your cf card,
depending on it size.  You probably want to leave a small dos
partition for pbsdboot to live on, as suspend may not work on your
Clio (it doesn't work on my clio 1000, so i'm constantly shutting down
and rebooting back into CE).

Two possibilities I can think of to work around the size limitations:

1.  net-install using a network card.
2.  partition the CF card from another unix box.

I seem to recall that i did (2), but i don't remember for sure.  I
might have done 1, as I have a NIC.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bko@unobvious.com>   http://www.unobvious.com/