Subject: Does not follow instruction well
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernie Simon <bsimon@toad.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/15/2002 20:52:28
I'm trying to install netbsd on my ibm z50. Here's what I've done and
the poblem that I'm having:

I've got a z50 with a toshiba 2 Gb hard drive card and a 64 Mb CF card.
Both are formatted as vfat. I take the card to work, plug it into my
laptop running red hat and download psdboot and the modified netbsd
kernel from Greg's hpcmips page. I uncompress and untar the netbsd
kernel under red hat, bring the card home, and put it in my z50. I
create a bsd folder on my CF card and copy psdboot and the netbsd kernel
to the card. I start up psdboot, change the settings to point to the
kernel and to say z50 and press the boot button. The kernel loads and
throws some messages on the screen. The messages say that wd0a is the
toshiba card and wd1a is the CF card. I then get the messages:

no file system for wd0 (dev 0x100)
cannot mount root, error=79
root device (default wd0a):
dump device (default wd0b):
file system (default):

Taking the default options gets me the same series of error messages. I
get out of the loop by doing a hard reset. (Remove the battery, etc.)
All this makes sense, sort of, since the card is formatted vfat. But I
expected to see the menu that's displayed in the install instructions.

So where did I go wrong?

--
Bernie Simon			    http://www.toad.net/~bsimon/