Subject: Re: questions re NetBSD on NEC Mobilepro 880
To: None <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/11/2002 12:18:28
In message: <20020811172411.44803.qmail@web13407.mail.yahoo.com>
            Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com> writes:
: 1.  Keeping in mind that I am a newbie, is it worth
: the effort?  Are there so many hardware compatibility
: problems that most of the mobilepros functionality
: will be lost?

I think that it is, but I have different hardware requirements than
you do.  What is it you are going to use it for?  That will tell you
if you should install NetBSD on it or not.

: 2.  Are the following Mobilepro 880 items usable under
: NetBSD:
:      internal modem
:      usb ports

Maybe the usb ports (I have a 780), but not the internal modem.

: 3.  Will NetBSD use the compact flash if it is
: attached to the pc card slot via a converter?  Is
: there a size limit to compact flash card
: compatibility?

There's no size limit, and CF works just fine with NetBSD.  I don't
know if you can connect a USB CF reader to the unit, but my CF slot
works well with either a CF card, or a microdrive installed.

: 4.  I would like to connect to a network.  Does anyone
: have advice on what kind of ethernet port (usb,
: compact flash, pc card, etc) to use?

I use an old NE2000 ethernet card.

: 5.  How are people currently using NetBSD on
: Mobilepros?

Good question.  I don't know the anser to that, but I'd guess in the
few hundreds range.  This port seems to be more popular in Japan than
in the US.

Warner