Subject: booting straight from ffs?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/06/2002 01:05:02
Just a quick question - is this actually doable?

I've installed the latest CURRENT snap ok (thanks to help I got here)
but only managed to boot a kernel from \Storage Card 2\netbsd,
not ffs:/netbsd...

This is an MP800 with a 128Mb CF card; I made the dos
slice too small to fit Takemura-sans USB kernel, thinking I'd
save space if I only used 1  kernel (doh).

If I build a 'stable' [ -rnetbsd-1-5 ] kernel small enough to fit
(
2rasputin@idoru:installation$ ls -l /cfdos/netbsd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2404595 May  6 00:45 /cfdos/netbsd
2rasputin@idoru:installation$ df -k /cfdos
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0e        2971     2520      451    84%    /cfdos
)

I can mount the ffs partition fine, so it's defintely readable..

Am I missing something obvious?
( from past experience on this list, I'd say I probably am :) )

Thanks gents.