Subject: Re: xi driver
To: HpcMIPS <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/30/2002 11:15:30
On 30.04.02, 00:11:50, Mikel Waxler wrote:
> What would be the procedure for porting the xi driver from the mips port
> to hpcmips?

In NetBSD, hardware drivers are (or should be) machine independent, so
they are not "ported" to another architecture. In some cases there are
some quirks that need to be dealt with for some
not-quite-standards-compliant hardware.)

Note that the hardware drivers reside in e. g. src/sys/dev/pcmcia/,
and not under src/sys/arch/i386/ or so. This indicates their machine
independence.

But I'm not qualified to go into any more detail here.

It seems, however, that the xi driver does not yet compile correctly
on hpcmips (see also PR port-hpcmips/16543)

I do not know what the exact problem is, but hopefully it's not too
bad and can be fixed quickly.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Compatible with the Real World.