Subject: Re: dead computer
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/20/2002 14:38:40
On 19.04.02, 17:31:53, Andrew Diller wrote:
> Yes but the microdrive crushes the flash cards on writes. My Z50 is much
> faster with a MD. Using the big battery makes it usable for long lengths of
> time.

Actually, according to the same test, the better High-Speed-CF-Cards
are quite a lot faster than the MD, _especially_ when writing. SanDisk
CF-Cards did about 2.5MB/s, whereas MD only did about 1.8. Reading
performance of the MD with 3.6MB/s was only reached by PixoMedia
CF-Cards. Power consumption during operation of MD is about 1W, for
the worst CF cards it's 400mW, for the best ones it's only about 120,
and those are not the slowest.

I was quite surprised by that, too. CF-Cards have come a long way.

Main advantage of MD remains the price. 1GB CF-Cards, if available at
all, are unaffordable.

I seem to have an old, slow CF card, and get write speeds of only
about 400k/s. I believe that MD is much faster than that :)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - daemonic power
		-- R. C. Dowdeswell