Subject: Re: wince ethernet performance, and a deal on HDDs (was: Re: ne2k pcmcia cards for Wince 2.2)
To: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/16/2002 21:58:53
Hi!

> > Oh btw and linux did 500KB/sec on the same hardware, and that poor
> > thing was running without interrupts. So its certainly CE problem.
>
> yeah, I noticed the same thing when I was network-installing NetBSD on my
> z50. it pegged my 10-base hub, and the FTP server (my workstation) reported
> about the same figure you got. (which is about as fast as 10-base
> half-duplex usually gets).

Actually, I'm getting 900KB/sec over 10mbit half-duplex (Even seen
once 1000KB/sec on good day on large transfer), so 500KB/sec is not
good result, but it is completely acceptable [unlike 2KB/sec from
wince].

> oh, and for anyone interested in such things; www.compgeeks.com has 8.1GB
> IBM PCMCIA IDE drives (big external box with a PCMCIA adapter) for $68.75
> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=34L4223
>
> says it'll work under linux; so I'm guessing NetBSD support is there (could
> it just show up as an ordinary IDE device?), or would be easy to
> add.

Probably.

> it may also be possible to subvert this chassis with a larger HDD... so
> maybe you could attach a 48GB drive to your hpcmips device. ;>

And suck batteries within how many seconds? ;-). Oh and this si
nothing new. I seen similar toy in 'used computers' shop for $60 or so
(but without drive, you had to supply your own).

								Pavel
--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.