Subject: Re: Z50 kernel issues
To: billy ball , Andrew Diller <dillera@sudanacid.com>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/08/2002 10:52:07
--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 07:44:04PM -0400, Greg Hughes wrote:

> The kernel is smaller becuase I stripped it (removed debugging symbols)
> before packaging it up.
>=20
> I'm not sure why there's a problem with netstat/vmstat, but I'm also
> experiencing the same issue here.

Netstat, vmstat, and a few other tools directly grovel through the
kernel and its structures to get the data they need.  In order to do
this, they need to find the locations of various global variables (aka
symbols) in the kernel address space.  So, if you strip your kernel,
you remove all those symbols, and netstat won't work.

I know there has been work in the direction of removing that sort of
dependency.  For instance, ps used to work the same way, but it now
uses sysctl, I believe.

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr

--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr--