Subject: Re: Key repeat in X?
To: Alexander Bochmann <ab@lists.gxis.de>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/07/2002 12:49:02
On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Alexander Bochmann wrote:

> ...on Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 12:05:36PM -0500, Andrew Diller wrote:
>
>  > BTW, its wonderfull to come back to my Z50 and wake it, and know that the
>  > screen wasn't on all night, burning in.
>
> Can LCDs "burn in"? I was more worried about failiure of
> the display's backlight, which I can't seem to turn off,
> short of suspending the whole system...

which begs others questions:

- one would assume an LCD's backlight has a limited lifetime... but is it
'harder' (ie, contributes to shorter lifespan) on an LCD's backlight to
turn it on/off via suspend or control, or to just let it run?

(i have an AST Ascentia A61+ that has been running 24/7 since 1997 [as a
firewall], and i have left the LCD on for as long as a year at a time...
and it's still working fine)