Subject: Re: HPCmips wiki
To: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
From: josh <dorqus@bsdfreek.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/06/2002 15:59:51
billy ball wrote...
> how's life on the 800? i've looked at these units and contemplated a
> purchase, but frank appraisals regarding support, speed, etc. would be
> welcomed...

I like it, picked it up for $300 or so on ebay, have had very little
problems with it.  Initially had a 128mb CF card, quickly upgraded
to a 256mb card.   It's fast enough as a "couch term", I run ion
as my window manager, just open up some xterms and ssh into other
machines, works fine.  I even compiled dillo-0.6.4 for it,
works OK, as far as dillo goes.  It does 800x600, which was a selling point
for the mobilepro over the z50 which only does 640x480.
Normally I just ssh into another box
here locally and display netscape back from that machine.  However,
it only has a touch screen (no trackpad or built-in mouse) and
the calibartion is a bit off, esp around the edges of the screen
(and there's no way to calibrate it, except under WinCE)
It supports my Wavelan Gold card no problem too.
One thing I never got around to setting up was IPSEC tunnel between
the mobilepro and my OpenBSD Wavelan gateway box.

> btw, there's not touchscreen on the z50, and no calibration is required
> for X... i've implemented the old 'saytime' shell script on my z50, and
> can now hear the time spoken upon demand or via cron! audio support will
> also help with alarm/reminder functions too!

cool.
I'd love USB mouse support and screen blanking (either under X or
even just console mode)  But I leave the unit on all the time, it's
very quiet (basically silent)

--
josh
	I don't tan, I don't burn, I implode.