Subject: Re: Cross compiling...
To: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/04/2002 09:27:53
--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:52:24PM -0500, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> Now here's a question for everyone else...  Though I didn't have any
> problems cross-compiling the kernel, I can't seem to cross compile any
> pakages.  During the configure process for every packages I've tried, the
> script dies complaing that "C compiler can't create executables".  Anyone
> know what the problem is and how to fix it?  Since some of these packages
> can be quite big, it'd be nice to be able to cross compile them, rather
> than waiting for the z50 to compile them :-)

At this point, there's no standard way to cross-compile anything in
pkgsrc.  The rumors I've heard indicate that there probably won't be
any such ability anytime in the foreseeable future, either -- it's a
difficult problem for software that you "own," like NetBSD-current;
it's much more difficult to get somebody else's software to
cross-compile.

There's a good chance that you could get any given package to
cross-compile, with a lot of hacking; but the biggest ones would
probably take the most work.

Sorry; it'd be nice to be able to cross-compile pkgsrc, as you say.

If some noble soul had a big enough disk, they could set up their
hpcmips machine to do pkgsrc bulk builds on a pretty much continuous
basis.  It would probably take weeks to do a complete bulk build, but
that would still be handy for all of us.

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt--