Subject: Re: New Z50 NetBSD kernel
To: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/04/2002 05:51:28
On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, billy ball wrote:

> i'm interested! thanks for the link Adam... here's what i've found so far:
>
> - downloaded, gunzip'd, copied new kernel to my 1GB microdrive and booted
> - boots fine (using the new kernel on a 1.5.1 install)
> - logged in, inserted D-Link DWL-650; initial pcmcia info is more detailed
> than previous kernel driver - nice job!
> - connected to wireless network with no problems (i assume my Linksys
> WPC11 will function similarly)

That's the exact card I use, so it'll definately work.

> - have not tried my Xircom CF 10 for wired LAN ops yet

That card works for me as well with this kernel.

> - have not tried my serial I/O card (for connecting to my StarTAC) yet
> - pressing power button blanks LCD, suspends, and turns off card
> - better yet, pressing the power button restores LCD, system and card
> without the need to re-insert or re-establish wireless connection!
>
>   GOOD JOB!!!
>
> - have not tried audio yet... can someone recommend simple app and command
> line to test?

'audioplay' ships with NetBSD.  It can definately play back .au files, but
I'm not sure about what else.  The sox packages also has a 'play' command
which I've used but, again, I'm not sure of all the audio formats
supported.

I'm beginning to wonder if decoding mp3s is too intensive a process for
the z50 since I haven't been able to get one to play yet :-)

> - now if trackpoint support is rolled in, Z50 NetBSD users are going to be
> VERY happy!

Agreed :-)

Adam