Subject: Re: Cross compiling...
To: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/03/2002 18:52:24
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, billy ball wrote:

> way to go!
>
> i volunteer to test the new kernel!
>
> :-)

Though I certainly have no objections to posting it somewhere, I'm not
convinced it does a whole lot of good till the trackpoint support gets
working :-)

Unfortunately, I spent nearly all of my evening fighting with my ISP about
my access to our news server, followed by a fight with my x86 machine to
work with the 4Front OSS drivers under NetBSD, so I haven't had a chance
to try patching -current with the trackpoint code again.

However, I'll post this kernel on a server at work tomorrow when I get a
chance, so anyone who wants to can download it.  The more people who can
test out the audio support and the LCD blanking, the better.  I'll e-mail
the list with the location of the kernel tomorrow morning.

Bear in mind that I'm using a fairly recent snapshot of the entire base
distribution.  Though I don't think this is the case, it's always possible
that this -current kernel is going to require and pretty current userland.

So, of course, I bear no responsibility if anyone somehow manages to
destroy their z50 with this kernel.

Now here's a question for everyone else...  Though I didn't have any
problems cross-compiling the kernel, I can't seem to cross compile any
pakages.  During the configure process for every packages I've tried, the
script dies complaing that "C compiler can't create executables".  Anyone
know what the problem is and how to fix it?  Since some of these packages
can be quite big, it'd be nice to be able to cross compile them, rather
than waiting for the z50 to compile them :-)

Adam