Subject: Re: audio driver [was]Re: Z50 - CF card or Microdrive?
To: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/26/2002 15:37:22
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Bernd Sieker wrote:

> On 26.03.02, 15:02:46, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> > >
> > > What does NetBSD's own "audioplay" do?
> >
> > Heh... I didn't even know NetBSD came with an audioplay command :-)
>
> from audioplay(1):
>
>   HISTORY
>        The audioplay program was first seen in SunOS 5.  The NetBSD audioplay
>        was first made available in NetBSD 1.4.
>
> And, yes, just checked, even NetBSD/hpcmips has an audioplay
> command. (And why not ...)
>

> > > I had no problem whatsoever to patch the 1.5.3_RC1 (and also earlier
> > > 1.5.3_ALPHA) sources to use Greg's track point driver. It has some
> > > minor glitches, sometimes the cursor jumps back or gets false button
> > > presses, but no panics, and overall works nicely.
> >
> > Did you have *any* problems compiling the kernel?  Last time I tried to
> > compile a kernel from CVS, on my NetBSD 1.5 hpcmips system, I kept running
> > into problem after problem.  Hopefully building from this snapshot will go
> > much more smoothly.
>
> I use sources cvs updated on the 1.5-branch (i. e. cvs update -dP
> -rnetbsd-1-5), which is now called "NetBSD-1.5.3_RC1". I unpacked the
> track point driver files and edited the "files" files according to
> instruction and it worked on the first attempt. I did not try any
> -current snapshot.
>

> -current may be sufficiently different to break building a kernel with
> those drivers.
>
> Drivers and instructions are here:
>
>   http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~gl2hughe/hpcmips/vrdsiu-z50-TrackPoint-20010723A.tar.gz
>   http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~gl2hughe/hpcmips/vrdsiu-instructions-20010808A.txt
>
> Only problem I ever had was when I tried to build a kernel with the xi
> network card driver. So I swapped cards and use the Xircom in my
> normal laptop, and the 3com card (ep0, which works fine) in the z50.
>
> My real problem compiling a hpcmips-kernel is that I only have 16 MB
> RAM and only a 128 MB Compact Flash card, onto which I must also swap
> :-(
>

> > Are you using this snapshot?
>
> No, 1.5.3_RC1, sorry if I confused anybody about the version I was
> using.

No problem.  Unfortunately, the LCD blanking and the audio support are
only available in -current, so I might still get the problems with the
trackpoint.  Greg popped on earlier this month, I believe, saying he'd
take a look  on getting it working on -current, but I don't think he's
appeared since then :-)

Anyway, I'll give it another whirl tonight.

Adam