Subject: X working on z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/22/2002 20:54:37
Ah, now I have X11 up and running. My 128M CompactFlash card does not
leave much room for clients, but the Server works fine and can query a
remote xdm, so the z50 is a really nice, very quiet X-Terminal.

The problem might have been an unhealthy mix of 1.5.3_ALPHA kernel and
1.5.2 userland.

I'm now using 1.5.3_RC1 userland and it seems to work.

Problem might also have been missing fonts. Oops ;)

I have to say I'm amazed how fast it is. I'm also used to the sluggish
Xhpux on my hp300 machine, and in comparison Xhpc just flies.

Plus, of course, it's 16 bit, compared to the HP300's 8. And the CPU
is 131 MHz, instead of 33. I guess at floating point, the M68040 would
beat the VR4121, but not at much else.

Just letting you know how happy I am with NetBSD/hpcmips on IBM
z50. Never had such a "cool" toy since my first Amiga ;) And this one
was even cheaper. Paid only $140 on ebay.

Keep up the good work!

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: serves you right.