Subject: X11 on z50?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/21/2002 00:32:37
Hi,

For almost two days now I have been the very proud owner of an IBM
WorkPad z50 (_very_ rare in Germany), and I have instantly fallen in
love with this sweet little machine.

I have only 16 MB now, but already ordered the memory upgrade to 48MB,
have a 3com network card and a 128 MB compact flash card.

NetBSD seems to be running just fine, and mounting most parts via NFS
I was even able to compile a custom kernel.

Now I'm trying to get the Xhpc working. Should it work at all?
Assuming I'm just using it as an X-Terminal, is it enough to just
unpack the Xserver tgz and hope that "Xhpc -query boa" (boa being a
NetBSD/i386 server running an xdm listening for network connections,
networking is up and running) "just works"? I don't expect the touch
stick to work with 1.5.2 (is there a patch for 1.5.3_ALPHA, or will it
work with stock 1.5.3?), but I thought that the Xserver as such would
work.

When I try to start the Xserver, it fails and afterwards the
keymapping in the console is broken. I cannot type any sensible
character any more.

I can still login from remote and reboot the machine.

Also, when I try to configure wscons, it tells me that adding screens
failes, because it cannot allocate memory? What's the deal with wscons
on hpcmips?

I hope someone can help me here, I think several people are running
NetBSD on a z50.

The FAQs, How-Tos and various pages are not very new and not very
helpful. Most of what's written there I had already figured out
myself.

cheers,

Bernd

--