Subject: MobilePro-780 vs. Linksys NP100 PC Card
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/06/2002 16:50:15
I'm trying to install a local build of NetBSD-1.5ZA
to a 256M CF card in a MP-780 via FTP.

It's been problematic.

For starters, it doesn't look like I can generate my
own installation kernel with -current.  It seems that
the mini-fs that gets shoved into the install kernel
has outgrown the params given to vnconfig and so the
/mnt partition fills and "nbmake-hpcmips -k release"
fails.  I'd give more details, but the i386 where
I'm cross-building is running Windoze at the moment.

But, hey, nevermind that, I can get all the sets built,
so I figure I'll use the old-ish snapshot at this URL
(wrapped for readability)

    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcmips/snapshot/
			    20010422/installation/netbsd.gz

and install the sets built by "nbmake-hpcmips release."

Except that kernel can't handle the only NetBSD-supported
PCMCIA network card I've got.  It's a Linksys NP100 that
gets identified as

    ne0: Planex FNW-3700-T (AX88190) Ethernet

when I plug it in.  The card works in an i386 running
NetBSD-1.5.2, but it doesn't using the hpcmips snapshot.
When running the snapshot install, I can xfer a few
100K and then I see

    ne0: device timeout
    ne0: remote transmit DMA failed to complete

after which the ftp hangs.  I can ctl-C out of
it and retry, but the card is dead: I can't get
packets flowing after I see those messages.

This is similar to symptoms reported in PR# port-hpcmips/9436.
That PR is marked as closed as of 24 Feb 2000, though.

So, is there a newer snapshot I could try?  Do I have
any other options?  Does a -current release for hpcmips
cross-build for anyone else?

Thanks for any help.

Chris <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>.