Subject: Re: x50 workpad alternatives?
From: Alex Chan <alexchan@cs.umd.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/05/2002 18:45:29
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 07:01:32PM +0000, Rasputin wrote:
> >
> > Since Workpads seem to be a bit thin of the ground these days, I
> > wondered what the alternatives were?
>
> it occurred to me to take a Sony Picturebook (pricey, but powerful), and use
> a CF->2.5" HDD adapter to fit a solid-state drive into it. (solid-state
> taking less power and being more durable). it's a spendy option, tho.
>
> IBM's X-series laptops are only a little bit larger than the z50; but I'm
> told by someone who has one, that it can't be booted off the CF adapter. :(
>
> Carl Soderstrom.
> --
> Network Engineer
> Real-Time Enterprises
> www.real-time.com

If you are considering a picturebook, I would recommend looking at the new
fujitsu lightweight, which starts at $1500 USD.

http://www.fujitsupc.com/

They are similar in form-factor to the Sonys, but have much better battery
life.  I don't know how easy it is to get NetBSD working on it, but I
imagine Linux is also an option.

I'm happy with NetBSD on the NEC MobilePro 780 which is about the same
size as a PictureBook, but can be had on eBay for around $300.  I don't
run X too often since the screen is small.

-alex