Subject: Re: MobilePro 780 parts?
To: None <katsumi@decepticonz.net>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/28/2002 10:11:49
In message: <20020228102856.A13668@decepticonz.net>
            katsumi liquer <katsumi@decepticonz.net> writes:
: Recently my mobile pro 780 has suffered some bizzare hardware problems,
: and the main result of these problems are that I have a lot of 'dead'
: keys on my keyboard. Certain keys just seem to have no effect at all,
: while other ones cause incorrect characters to appear ( such as typing R
: reads out '=7RS' ). I have disassembled it and examined everything, at
: first I suspected that maybe the two ribbon cables connecting the
: keyboard unit to the main board were not connecting properly -- but they
: seem to be fine.

I always found that connecting/disconnecting these cables to be a huge
pita.

: Anyways, I am asking becuase I know probobly someone one this list
: either HAS or knows someone who does a mobile pro 7XX series ( not sure
: if the 750 will be good for parts.. but maybe ) that is 'broken'. And if
: so, would you be willing to part with any of the parts? I want to try a
: different keyboard and if that doesn't work, perhaps a different
: mainboard.

Somewhere I think I have a broken 770 that I'd be willing to part out.

: Just for asking -- but in the meantime, is it possible to use a console
: over the serial port? I see that there is an option for some sort of
: serial support in the boot loader, but I don't have a proper serial
: cable yet to connect a terminal.. and I figured that before I spend the
: money I might as well just ask ;)

-h is what I Think you need.  I used to do serial consoles on my
 Everex Manager E-15 (or whatever it was).  I think that some machines
 are still serial console only because we don't know how to program
 the video display.

Warner