Subject: Re: Maintainers of hpcboot project?
To: Brandon Knitter <knitterb@blandsite.org>
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/20/2002 17:48:09
Hi!
> I'm not sure whom maintains the HPCBoot project, but I was hoping to have a
> discussion regarding the modification of the boot process to work on Windows
> CE 2.0 and earlier.  As you may know, in WinCE 2.11 and later, there is a
> system call of setKMode which is used to boot the kernel for many boot
> loaders.  I recently found some code snippets which suggest that a certain
> amount of assembly code and kernel binary copying to memory could be
> executed in such a way that it would boot a kernel on earlier version of
> WinCE (1.0 and 2.0).
>
> I am not a solid C or C++ programmer, nor familiar with writing applications
> for WinCE, but I have done enough to read through the code and it seems as
> though it's a viable alternative when working with older versions of the OS.
> I know that setKMode is a much more stable alternative, but it leaves some
> of us out in the cold with earlier versions of the OS and these devices we'd
> much rather see running a flavor of Linux.
>
> Any help or response would be appreciated.  If you have an earlier version
> of WinCE (1.0 or 2.0) and have successfully booted a flavor of unix on them,
> I would love to hear from you as well.

pbsdboot works for me on philips velo 1 with "ce 2.0 upgrade"
board. I'm booting linux on it. (See
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/... you should find it ;)
									Pavel
--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa