Subject: Re: WARNING RE: PROXIM rangelan-ds pcmcia and netbsd
To: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
From: John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/15/2002 09:10:28
dont feel too bad.

i have not one, but 2 hp800ct's, but onely *one* of them works :-)

it was mentioned on numerous web pages devoted to said laptop that a bios
upgrade was in order, and i was having serious trouble getting freebsd to
boot on it. i was having to use the plip interface to do any communication
with it, the pcic stuff wasnt working

so i rebooted my desktop to win98 to make the floppy

so i made a dos floppy and put the upgrade program on it - this was like
1am on a week night, hours after i should have gone to bed.

i boot the floppy and run the program and read the dire warnings about NOT
TOUCHING ANYTHING while it writes the bios.

so, i checked to see if i had anything in the way that might cause me to
push the button by accident.

nope? good. hit the enter key.

so the write starts and i recall that i am still in win98 on my desktop
box and that i need to get back to freebsd so that i can have access to
the install directory.

reboot the desktop.....reflash is still going on the 800ct

freebsd boots on the desktop, probes and initializes the
devices..including the parallel port and the reflash FREEZES!

recall that whenever you boot an x86 box with a printer attached, it
toggles the printer. so, i had toggled the parport on the 800ct whilst
flashing it and had violated the edict to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!

oops!

anyway, your not the only person who let their enthususasm get the best of
them. i was out 100bucks for a new laptop

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life