Subject: Very strange network problem
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Steve K <skrul@yahoo.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/10/2002 08:17:26
Hey folks --

Here is a doosie of a networking problem.  I have NetBSD on my z50 running
quite well.  I also have a Linux box at home on a cable modem (it is in the DMZ
of a Lynksys cable router).  From many machines I have no problem accessing the
ftp/telnet/ssh/web services of that linux computer -- I've tried it from Win2k,
WinNT, NetBSD (on a sun i think), Linux, etc... no problems at all.  However,
the z50 can not ftp, ssh, or telnet to the computer.  But what is odd is web
(via lynx) works fine.  A WinNT computer plugged into the SAME HUB as the z50
can access everything.  I'm totally sumpted.  The target machine is
surfer.ath.cx, note that I have to run the web service on port 8000 (cable
modem provder blocks port 80). Some samples:

# telnet surfer.ath.cx
Trying 24.190.16.114...
Connected to surfer.ath.cx.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

# ftp surfer.ath.cx
Connected to surfer.ath.cx.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

# ssh surfer.ath.cx

# lynx -source http://surfer.ath.cx:8000/index.html
<head>

The z50 has no problem ftp/telnet/ssh'ing to other computers, only this one.

I'll say again that I'm stumped.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
-steve