Subject: Re: X on Z50 working
To: None <chrome@real-time.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2002 17:31:19
In message: <20020104182522.G6491@real-time.com>
            Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com> writes:
: - suspend & resume as well as WinCE does
: - make it boot directly into *nix from startup
:
: these last two items are really the sticking points for me... they're also
: nearly impossible, as I understand it. one would need to be able to replace
: the WinCE ROM with a carefully constructed *nix image (I believe Warner said
: that the resume depends on a jump to a memory location in ROM).
: I don't forsee anything like this soon, tho. :( (unless someone has a supply
: of SODIMM EEPROMs and a burner for them and some knowlege of how to boot
: this thing from the 'bare metal').

Yes.  The suspend/resume has a few differnet power savings mode.  The
highest power saving mode is closed to us at the moment because
exiting it jumps to a ROM address (at least on the Vr machines).  This
just might be possible to fix, but it may be hard.  I've not examined
the memory in question.

Booting is likely going a lot harder because each device has its own
"frob the hardware to a sane state" code that we'd have to write.

Also, there's an issue with physical placement of parts.  The flash
chips and mask programable roms have different pinouts, last time I
looked.

Warner