Subject: Re: Problem installing on z50
To: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2002 10:52:26
--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:46:19AM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> > Does the order of the partitions matter?  For me, a is always the NetBSD
> > parition, b is swap.. c and d I really don't understand -- the installe=
r says
> > they represent the "entire disk" and "netbsd" -- but why do they overla=
p the
> > others?  And e is always the MSDOS parition.
>=20
> based on your experience and mine, I'm going to guess it does. I think I'=
ve
> always made 'a' the MSDOS partition. that way wince will see the superblo=
ck
> from that, and think that it's good to go.=20
> it still sees it as the full size of the card, tho; but I've never done a
> 'newfs'  on the MSDOS section. as such, it *will* try to write over the F=
FS
> partition if you put too much stuff on the FAT (MSDOS) partition, but
> generally this seems to have been more harmful to the FAT partition than =
the
> FFS partition. (I've gotten corrupted data a few times).

This doesn't seem quite right.  I believe that hpcmips uses the same
disk layout that i386 does, which is a gross combination of DOS and
unix.  The i386 port's documentation probably does a better job of
explaining this than I will, but basically:

Use fdisk (from NetBSD, if you want) to create the DOS partitions.
Make an MSDOS partition and a NetBSD partition that don't overlap.  It
probably doesn't matter where on the disk they reside.

Now use disklabel to create the NetBSD partition map.  Traditionally,
the disklabel specifies the layout of the unix partitions within the
entire unix section of the disk that you created using fdisk.  The
standard practice is to have partition "a" be your root, "b" is swap,
"c" is the NetBSD portion of the disk (which you specified using
fdisk), and "d" is the entire disk.  If you want NetBSD to be able to
access the MSDOS partition, make a partition "e" in disklabel which
points to the MSDOS partition -- copy the numbers from fdisk.

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu

--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu--