Subject: RE: Regular user starting X
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Diller <dillera@sudanacid.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2002 00:59:50
It may be this perhaps: (from the XFree docs for NetBSD)

7.2. Aperture Driver
By default NetBSD include the BSD 4.4 kernel security feature that disable
access to the /dev/mem device when in multi-users mode. But XFree86 servers
can take advantage (or require) linear access to the display memory.

Most XFree86 4.1.0 card drivers require linear memory access. There are two
ways to allow XFree86 to access linear memory:

The first way is to disable the kernel security feature by adding ``option
INSECURE'' in the kernel configuration file and build a new kernel.

The second way is to install the aperture driver, included in source form
in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/apNetBSD.shar in the XFree86 4.1.0
source distribution. Unpack it in a new directory of your choice by
running:

  sh apNetBSD.shar

http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/NetBSD7.html

Can someone with a INSECURE kernel comment? Is hpcmips using the pcvt cons
if you don't enable wscons?

-andy

--On Friday, January 04, 2002 9:40 AM +1000 Sanford Barton