Subject: NetBSD pthreads (Was: dillo)
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Wong <benjamin.wong@cc.gatech.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/12/2001 21:40:01

    Kanchan> I hade tried getting Dillo running a while back and had
    Kanchan> trouble. Problem seemed to be Pthread related. I was
    Kanchan> building against pth a non pre-emptible thread library.
    Kanchan> What threading library did you use ?

I used pth. The README that came with Dillo suggested turning off
threading in Dillo's DNS resolver under BSD. I added a patch to do
that, and it fixed loading pages with http. Unfortunately, it didn't
fix the file:// protocol, which still hangs.

I have heard there are some other POSIX thread implementations which
might work better. Alternatively, someone could hack the Dillo source
to do cooperative threading. However, it might not be worth it; a
quick search on the NetBSD mailing lists shows Perry Metzger saying,
back in September, that kernel-supported POSIX threads "should be done
in the next couple of months."

	Ben

--
Benjamin Wong				College of Computing and GVU
ben@wongs.net				Georgia Institute of Technology