Subject: Re: Best hpcmips machine to get
To: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/14/2001 20:05:44
- still plenty of Z50s around, and the 16-hour extended battery and AA
adapter package (new in box) is now going for around $25... the AA battery
holder is about the size of the double-capacity LiIon battery and lasts
about five hours... a memory module to bump up the internal RAM is about
$20... a 340MB microdrive (enough to support native X and small client
development, or kernel development w/o X) runs about $150 or less now...

- you can still buy a new one in the box from
http://www.infinity-micro.com, albeit for $435... you may be able to latch
onto a used Z50 w/accessories (and most likely, the 32MB RAM upgrade) for
$200 or less on ebay... i snarfed an extra one that way, and at the same
time, got a simply beautiful IBM 240/Z50 leather case w/slipcase for the
Z50 for less than $30 (the original IBM case)...

i *love* the Z50! not having sound (while using NetBSD) is not an issue,
and i have not found any debilitating idiosyncracies about using NetBSD on
the unit (a credit to its engineers/designers and the NetBSD developers!)

i wish you good luck on your quest! i could not do without NetBSD on the
Z50!

regards,

billy ball
http://www.tux.org/~bball/z50