Subject: Re: 3.3V cards in a mobilepro 780/mobilegear II MC/R430
To: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/06/2001 00:29:24
In message <200111060530.fA65Ug720946@harmony.village.org> Warner Losh writes:
: Which translates as near as I can tell to an Intel 82365SL step C.
: According to my information about this chip, there's no 3.3V support
: on that chip (but this information could be slightly wrong, since some
: chips that identify themselves as a 365 really are one of a whole
: family of chips, including the Vadem chips that do support 3.3V).
: I've not taken my R430 apart to find out what, exactly, it has inside
: of it.  I do know that the Vrc 4172 has pcic-like things built into
: it, so I guess I'll have to drag out the datasheet for it and see if
: there's 3.3V support listed at all.

OK.  I looked at the datasheet for the Vr4171, which is the only
datasheet for the companion bridge sets that I have in paper form.
The 4171 provides what looks to be a Vadem 469 compatible interface
for 3.3V.

However, looking at the "data brief" two pager that I have from nec,
it appears that the 4172 doesn't have the pccard stuff built into it.
Which is a shame too since it does a lot of cool things, none of which
are exposed on my R430: usb host controller, Parallel port interface,
a second serial port (although that may be the cellphone connector)
and a PS/2 keyboard/mouse interface.

So I guess I'm going to have to take my R430 apart to see what the
actual chip that's used inside is so I can find out how to program
it.

I wouldn't be surprised to find the vadem chip, nor would I be
surprised to find one of the Ricoh chips.  NEC has used both in the
past.

Warner