Subject: Re: 3.3V cards in a mobilepro 780/mobilegear II MC/R430
To: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/05/2001 22:30:42
In message <02c101c16600$9e51f910$c801a8c0@megu2> "TAKEMURA Shin" writes:
: MC/R430 seems to have common PCIC compatible card controller
: and Windows CE on MC/R430 supports Docomo Pin-Comp@ct,
: which runs with 3.3V only.(*)

OK.

: But I wonder if NetBSD PCIC code supports 3.3V mode. No?

Well, it gets interesting.  The controller identifies itself as

pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B

Which translates as near as I can tell to an Intel 82365SL step C.
According to my information about this chip, there's no 3.3V support
on that chip (but this information could be slightly wrong, since some
chips that identify themselves as a 365 really are one of a whole
family of chips, including the Vadem chips that do support 3.3V).
I've not taken my R430 apart to find out what, exactly, it has inside
of it.  I do know that the Vrc 4172 has pcic-like things built into
it, so I guess I'll have to drag out the datasheet for it and see if
there's 3.3V support listed at all.

I really dislike the twisty maze of slightly different ways to do 3.3V
in all the 16 bit bridges :-(

Warner