Subject: power buttons are useless
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/01/2001 21:47:13
Why is NEC not manufacturing NetBSD laptops yet?  Surely they must
have heard of this port.  Do they have some objection to the level of
i18n in emacs?

> [NEC] 780
> I just wish I got more
> battery life.

I get six hours consistently on my 800, with the screen set three
clicks above dimmest.  It makes a big difference.  However, I can no
longer properly afford the luxury of darkening the red and blue pixels
of text.

Has anyone jacked one into a 12V battery?  I've heard someone did this
to a Sparcbook, and it survived.  The NEC brick is 13.5V, eh?  Someone
else try, not me. :)

I leave it on always, with Microdrive, because I have a CDPD modem and
get incoming mail over SMTP.  Passers-by ask (1) what is it, (2) how
fast is it.  To which I answer, ``email!  INSTANTANEOUS!''

I don't know why it is so hard for these computer companies to
understand that batteries need to last all day.  Would you turn off,
or ``suspend'', your celfone?  Slap.  Of course not!  Just because you
aren't mashing the keybad doesn't mean there is no computation to do.
The celfone industry has long understood that the International Man of
Mystery must carry (a) a toothbrush, and (b) enough battery power to
last about 30 hours.  That is why pants have pocket A and pocket B.
These demands are not particularly flexible.

[flashback to 5 years ago] ``The Intel(r) StrongARM(r) processor is
very popular in Amerikstan.''  WHAAAAT?  _Intel_ ARM?  please shoot me.
please.

--
shadowy grove
outside the locked ward