Subject: Re: Mobile Pro 770 Storage (1GB Microdrive is mA Limit)
To: INTERNET:russe@electriclichen.com <russe@electriclichen.com>
From: Josef Kormann <josefkormann@compuserve.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/24/2001 14:05:38
Hello russ, Hello Elliot,

Russ, i apologize for expressing myself a little bit slovenly. Booting fr=
om
a CF-Card does not mean that you can power on your MP770
and then the NetBSD kernel is loaded into memory automatically. You alway=
have to use pbsdboot to load the kernel.
(I haven't tried to find out what AutoRun options WinCE 2.11 provides.). =
If
you are not sure what to to, use an old used Notebook, install Win98 and
NetBSD 1.5.x on it and download the tar files of the HPCMips Port (for a
first try kern.tgz, base.tgz and etc.tgz are enough).
Put your CF-Card into a PCMCIA Adaptor and then insert it into the PCMCIA=

slot.
Then take a look onto http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcmips/install.txt whi=
ch
contains all information you need to set up a valid filesystem.

Elliot, i've tried both: the CF-Slot and the PCMCIA-Slot. Storage devices=

which need more power than the 1GB Microdrive don't seem to work
properly within devices mentioned in my last email (NEC MobilePro 770,
Sharp Mobilon Tripad and Vadem Clio 1000).
If you want to make sure whether a PCCard can be used or not write down t=
he
current values that can be found on IBM's Storage Page
www.storage.ibm.com -> then click onto microdrive and ...
Before you consider to buy a storage card always compare the values for
spin up current and all other values to the 1GB Microdrive.
If they are higher don't expect them to work in your MP770.

By the way: Has anyone tried calluna Cards yet ?

Bye Josef Kormann,
email: josefkormann@compuserve.com
email experimental: joe@swanisle.de