Subject: Installation problems...
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/04/2001 08:55:50
Alright...  As I've posted here before, I've gotten NetBSD running on a
128 meg CompactFlash on my z50 very little problem, so I certainly have
some idea of what I'm doing. I finally got around to ordering an 340 meg
IBM microdrive since the CF card wasn't leaving me much room to play
around in.  It came in yesterday, and I sat down last night to install
NetBSD onto that.  I didn't just want to copy everything over from the CF
since I used the small base package for the CF card, and wanted the
complete one for the Microdrive.  Instead, I went through almost the exact
same procedure with the Microdrive in preparation for the install.  I
formatted the Microdrive under Linux using a USB CF reader.  I gave it a
20 meg DOS partition, and the rest I gave to NetBSD.  I copied all the
base NetBSD sets (base.tgz, etc.tgz, and kern.tgz) onto the 128 meg CF
card, booted off the install kernel, mounted the CF card, ran disklabel on
the Microdrive, and then installed on to the Microdrive.  The installation
ran without a hitch.

Now here's the problem...  When booting off the regular kernel (from Greg
Hughe's website), everything starts fine.  It detects both the network
card and the Microdrive.  It properly identifies the Microdrive as 340
megs...  And then, when it goes to mount the root partition, this is what
I get:

root file system type: msdos
warning: no /dev/console
init: not found
panic: no init
Stopped in pid 1 (init) at	0x8014e468:		jr	ra
		bdslot: nop
db>

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the base of my problem is that it
sees the root filesystem as msdos.  This is just not true.  wd0a is,
without a doubt, ffs.  I've booted off the install kernel at least four
times to confirm this.  I've checked, rechecked, rechecked again, and then
again.  When I break out of the installation process and drop to the
shell, I can mount /dev/wd0a without any problems.  I've even gone through
the installation process twice, and gotten the same results both times.

I've noticed something else that makes things even more interesting... The
install kernel sees the microdrive as both wd0 and wd1, and shows the
exact same disklabel for both.

So, am I doing something stupid?  Is there some strangeness about the
Microdrive that I'm just not familiar with?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Adam