Subject: Re: Any extensive newbie guide on installing/using Netbsd/hpcmips?
To: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
From: Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/02/2001 23:11:03
billy ball wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Tom Gottheil wrote:
>
> > I'm a Netbsd newbie (I know Freebsd fairly well), and I have an NEC
> > Mobilepro 880 that I would like to install Netbsd on.  Is there any
> > installation guide specifically for Netbsd/hpcmips?  I've looked at most
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.1/hpcmips/INSTALL.txt
>
> > of the guides on the web pages, which have been helpful, but I'm still
> > slightly worried about frying my computer.  Are there any external
> > installation and user guides for Netbsd/hpcmips?
>
> you won't/can't fry your computer... the worst that can happen is a
> partitioning error on your compact flash or microdrive, which is easily
> corrected by repartitioning...
>
> i'm unaware of a 'live' filesystem (ala Linux) in which you can boot to a
> live session running off CD or a network-mounted drive...
>
> i've found the easiest way to install is via an Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI
> adapter using a CD containing the NetBSD hpcmips tarballs...

i did mine using a netbsd boot floppy in my normal laptop and a copy of
the netbsd distro tarballs on a local filesystem. 1gb microdrive was in
the pcmcia adapter it comes with. whole thing was very easy and very
smooth and the nec booted from the microdrive first go. nice! :)

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995