Subject: Re: X solved plus questions
To: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/30/2001 22:36:13
as i mentioned before, xkbdcomp, along with a custom keymap and editing
the default keycodes will work, or you can use .Xmodmap to map F9-12 say,
to work as Up, Left, Right, Down...

i've outlined my approach at http://www.tux.org/~bball/z50

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

> I'm left with a very odd keymap, however.  It is the US keymap, but I
> have a Japanese keyboard.  This doesn't bother me too much, since I'm
> more used to the US layout and some sticky tags on the keycaps will
> solve the disconnect.  I've also been able to augment the map so that
> previously "dead" keys do useful things.  However, there is one
> interesting issue remaining that I'm not sure how to deal with.
>
> xmodmap says that the keycodes range from 8 to 142.  However, the
> arrow keys produces key codes for Up, Down, Left and Right of 208,
> 216, 211, and 213 respectively.

this is correct...

> Since I'm messing with things, I thought I'd try all the keys.  Here's
> a summary of what I've found:
> 	Key			Keycode	KeySym
> 	Windows Key		Dead (not even an event in xev)
> 	The NFER key[*]		131	NoSymbol
> 	The XFER key[*]		129	NoSymbol
> 	KATAKANA/hiragana	120	NoSymbol
> 	Fnc			192	NoSymbol
> 	Left			211	NoSymbol
> 	Right			213	NoSymbol
> 	Up			208	NoSymbol
> 	Down			216	NoSymbol

that's correct too... xev reports NoSymbol for the cursor keys and the Alt
keys...

> [*] These keys are where I remember them from the pc98 keyboard that I
> have on my laptop, but I may have completely mistaken.
>
> I'll assume that the Windows key is disabled on purpose :-)

it's a shame that it is, as you could use it for an Fn+[cursor] for PgUp,
PgDown, etc.

> Is there any way to get the arrow keys working?  xmodmap complains
> that they are out of range.  This sounds like a kernel bug or a X
> server bug to me.

see above...

> In "console" mode, I do have the Japanese Keyboard keymap (since
> that's what appears to be compiled into my kernel, as I'm running an
> unmodified GENERIC).  That doesn't bother me, but I did think it odd.
>
> Warner
>
> P.S.  I have a NEC MobileGear II R/430 with 32M RAM and a Japanese
> keyboard (I think the MG IIs only come with a Japanese Keyboard, since
> they are only available in Japan).

hth,

bb