Subject: X solved plus questions
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/30/2001 13:38:03
Changing the permission bits fixed my X server problem.  Thanks to all
that recommended solutions.

I'm left with a very odd keymap, however.  It is the US keymap, but I
have a Japanese keyboard.  This doesn't bother me too much, since I'm
more used to the US layout and some sticky tags on the keycaps will
solve the disconnect.  I've also been able to augment the map so that
previously "dead" keys do useful things.  However, there is one
interesting issue remaining that I'm not sure how to deal with.

xmodmap says that the keycodes range from 8 to 142.  However, the
arrow keys produces key codes for Up, Down, Left and Right of 208,
216, 211, and 213 respectively.

Since I'm messing with things, I thought I'd try all the keys.  Here's
a summary of what I've found:
	Key			Keycode	KeySym
	Windows Key		Dead (not even an event in xev)
	The NFER key[*]		131	NoSymbol
	The XFER key[*]		129	NoSymbol
	KATAKANA/hiragana	120	NoSymbol
	Fnc			192	NoSymbol
	Left			211	NoSymbol
	Right			213	NoSymbol
	Up			208	NoSymbol
	Down			216	NoSymbol

[*] These keys are where I remember them from the pc98 keyboard that I
have on my laptop, but I may have completely mistaken.

I'll assume that the Windows key is disabled on purpose :-)

Is there any way to get the arrow keys working?  xmodmap complains
that they are out of range.  This sounds like a kernel bug or a X
server bug to me.

In "console" mode, I do have the Japanese Keyboard keymap (since
that's what appears to be compiled into my kernel, as I'm running an
unmodified GENERIC).  That doesn't bother me, but I did think it odd.

Warner

P.S.  I have a NEC MobileGear II R/430 with 32M RAM and a Japanese
keyboard (I think the MG IIs only come with a Japanese Keyboard, since
they are only available in Japan).